Kiwanis club representatives approved 14 amendments to the Kiwanis International Bylaws, including provisions for clubs to investigate members’ misconduct. Here is a summary of results from the House of Delegates:
- Allow greater flexibility to clubs in various areas by providing that members must be “adults,” (legal age of majority) where the club is located.
- Allow a club flexibility to hold regularly-scheduled meetings once per month if desired.
- Allow a club greater autonomy and flexibility by providing that a club member’s rights and privileges are based on maintaining good standing with the club.
- Give greater flexibility to clubs operations by expanding the membership classes clubs may use.
- Clarify provisions about the role and purpose of districts.
- Set minimum standards for districts regarding government and financial reporting.
- Set minimum standards for federations regarding government and financial reporting.
- Align reporting duties for Kiwanis International finances.
- Include the vice president on the Kiwanis International Board Executive Committee.
- Provide that clubs will investigate and discipline for conduct unbecoming a member of the Kiwanis family.
- Clarify discipline of Kiwanis International officers.
- Extend the freeze on tiered dues rates.
- Determine the minimum number of members to charter a new club.
- Separate provisions about regular vs. special meetings of the Kiwanis International Board.
Approved as amended
- Add a new Kiwanis Object.
- Establish a new Kiwanis International standing committee of past Kiwanis International trustees.
Referred to committee
- Increase Kiwanis International dues was referred back to the Finance Committee.
The House of Delegates considered four other amendments related to proposed changes in the Standard Form for Club Bylaws. Detail coming later..
In addition, this past January, the Kiwanis International Council approved 12 Bylaws amendments. The House of Delegates took no action to rescind these actions. (See “Council Adopts Bylaws Amendments, April 2012 Kiwanis magazine.)
Review the amendment results in full detail at www.KiwanisOne.org/amendments.
Jun 29 2012, 11:47 PM